Notifying the other parent of a move

People move for many reasons. Maybe you got a new job in British Columbia. Maybe you’re going back to school and you need to live closer to the campus. Perhaps you found a good deal on a house and you want a fresh start.

If you have a child and another person is legally involved in that child’s life, though, you may not be able to just up and move with the child. This could violate the parenting arrangement that the two of you signed.

The first step is simply to tell the other parent that you want to move. Legally called “giving notice,” this has to happen roughly two months (60 days) before the move occurs. Don’t assume you can just tell the person you’re moving next Monday and then have fulfilled your obligation. Additionally, you need to inform the person in writing, so a quick phone call or a message on an answering machine doesn’t count.

Technically, the other parent can block the move by asking for a court order forbidding it. The court will consider things why you’re moving, the realistic impact on the child’s life, and the like. This is done, in part, to keep people from moving out of spite so that the other parent can’t see the child.

The biggest thing to remember here is that working out an agreement that is best for you, your child, and the other parent should be the focus. That’s why communication is so important, as you may be able to reach an agreement that works for all parties involved.

Remember your legal rights and obligations when thinking about a move. Be sure you take the proper steps in advance so that things go smoothly, and always be aware of the restrictions laid out in the parenting agreement or any court orders.

Source: Legal Services Society, “Can you move — With or without your child?,” accessed Aug. 26, 2016

This entry was posted in Family Law and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.